Complaints Advocacy

When our advocates are already instructed to work with a person, and they feel the person has the right to make a complaint, they can support the person (with their consent) to make a complaint to the relevant Adult Social Care department. The complaint must be relevant to the reason for involvement of the advocate.

We cannot provide an advocate for a person who wishes to make a social care complaint - who is not already open to our service.

What processes do we support people with?

We support people by providing them with information and resources to enable them to make a complaint. We can undertake this on a person’s behalf if they would otherwise be unable to do it, so long as it is with their consent (with exceptions).

What we can do?

  • We can support a person to make a complaint to Adult Social Care
  • We can act to ensure a person is able to make a complaint to Adult Social Care
  • We can make representation’s in a person’s best interests (in some cases)

What we cannot do?

  • We cannot include our own views or personal beliefs
  • We cannot be involved in NHS/ CCG, or Children Social Service complaints (with exceptions)
  • We cannot be instructed to undertake a complaint by family and/or friends
  • We cannot make a complaint if the issue is not relevant to our involvement (we can provide advice and guidance)

What happens next?

Once an advocate has supported a person to complete a complaint, they will remain involved until the complaint process has been concluded. They will ensure that the person understands the outcome of the complaint, before ending their involvement. They may also support with complaint escalations and submissions to/ discussions with the Local Government Ombudsman.

If you are interested in finding out more about our complaint’s advocacy, please contact us.

Back to top